The North American Foundation for the University of Durham, Inc. (a/k/a Dunelm USA) has created this security and privacy statement in order to document and communicate its commitment to doing business with the highest ethical standards and appropriate internal controls.
We respect your privacy, information you entrust to Dunelm USA will be handled with the greatest care, and Dunelm USA will not use the information in ways to which you have not consented or is not required by law.
- Links to Other Sites – This site may contain links to other sites, including sites maintained by Durham University. Dunelm USA is not responsible for the security or privacy practices of those sites, the products or services offered by those sites, or the content appearing at those sites. This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit
WEB SITE INFORMATION GATHERING
Dunelm USA recognizes the importance of keeping the information we collect about you confidential. We always take great care to protect what you entrust to us. Dunelm USA is committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our website.
- Personal Information Gathering – We do not automatically collect personally identifiable information (PII) about our web site visitors. We may record the Internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using, the browser software used, the operating systems used, and the websites from which our visitors link directly to our site. We aggregate and use this information to determine how many visitors we have to different pages on our web site, to detect and correct systems problems, and to improve the usability of our web site. This information is not connected to individual names or personal identities.
- Explicit Information Gathering – You can examine our entire web site without providing any information whatsoever. However, our web site’s Contact Details page invites users who desire more information about Dunelm USA, or who wish to find out how to become more involved with Dunelm USA, to give us their contact information, which we use for those purposes. There also is a link to a “Comments and Questions” form at the bottom of each page of our website that is directed to the maintainers of our website at Durham University. That form asks for your contact information.
Furthermore, our on-line giving Donation Form requires donors to provide contact information, gift amount and preference information, and credit or debit card account information in an encrypted secure payment process.
- From time to time, the information gathered through this site might be used to notify you about Dunelm USA and Durham University events and activities that we think will be of interest to you.
- Dunelm USA may share personal data with third party organizations which carry out contracts on behalf of the Dunelm USA or Durham University (such as a venue hosting a Dunelm USA or Durham University event). Dunelm USA will only share personal data that is relevant and proportionate.
- Compelled Disclosure – There may be times when we are required by law to disclose the information that you have submitted. Unless we are legally prohibited to do so, we will do our best to provide you with notice that a request for your information has been made to give you an opportunity to object to the disclosure. If you do not challenge the disclosure request, we may be legally required to turn over your information.
- Dunelm USA does not sell, rent, trade, lend, or otherwise transfer your personal information to any third-parties, other than as stated above.
Dunelm USA does not attempt to collect personal information from children, and we do not provide services to children. Our website is not directed to children under age 18, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under age 18. If a child sends personal information to us, and this information can be identified as originating from a child, the information will be deleted. We cannot always determine which information originates with a user that is a child. We do not maintain databases about children.
EMAIL LIST PRIVACY
- Opt-in Email Lists – We use email lists that we have assembled from people who have indicated they want additional information about our organization or Durham University.
- Personal Contacts: Dunelm USA’s personnel representatives frequently give presentations at conferences, social gatherings, write newsletters, fundraising, and participate in similar types of group and individual communications. We often receive business cards as well as requests for additional information. When we receive requests for information or help in person, from our web site from information volunteered by our web site visitors, or from conferences from people indicating they want more information about our organization and is activities, we will place these individuals on our contact list.
- Email List Privacy – With the exception of Durham University pursuant to the privacy protection requirements of a Data Sharing Agreement, Dunelm USA does not sell, rent, trade, lend, or otherwise share our email lists with any third parties, and we do not link our email lists to third-party databases. We do not store emails or individual information on a web server. All personally identifiable information is stored on servers behind a firewall.
WEB SITE SECURITY
- Security Measures – Our site is protected with a variety of security measures such as change control procedures, passwords, and physical access controls. We also employ a variety of other mechanisms to ensure that data you provide is not lost, misused, or altered inappropriately. These controls include data confidentiality policies and regular database backups.
- Encryption Policy – Please be aware that the information you send to us in an email message or in the Comments and Questions Form, which is a clear text form, will not be encrypted by us. Do not send any confidential information in an unencrypted email message or in a clear text form. If you want to give us confidential information, please call us at the number given at the bottom of this page or otherwise arrange to send it to us in an encrypted format.
- Collecting Confidential Information – Dunelm USA will always use encryption when collecting personal information via its secure, encrypted on-line giving Donation Form. Web site users can identify an encrypted form by looking in the address bar of the browser, where the “https” in the URL indicates a secure connection. Site users can also view the “padlock” icon within the browser window. A closed padlock indicates an encrypted connection.
- Encryption Policy – We use SSL encryption to protect the information you submit to us via our on-line giving Donation Form.
- Storage of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) – We do not store any personally identifiable information on our web server.
- Accountability – Information security personnel at Durham University ensure the security of the information we process and store.
- Policies and Procedures – Dunelm USA and Durham University have internal policies and procedures to limit access to your information to only those who have a business need to view it.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Access to Personal Information – We make every effort to keep our records accurate. We will make appropriate changes when you notify us. If you want to view, update or delete the information we have about you in our database, please fill out our data privacy form. We will follow procedures to verify your identity before providing this information to further protect your privacy.
Your Opt-In and Opt-Out Decisions
- Information about Dunelm USA – If you would like to receive information regarding Dunelm USA, please complete our contact form.
- Privacy Policies – If you have a question about our privacy practices, please complete our data privacy form.
- Email Lists – If you are currently on our email list and wish to be removed, please send an email to ([email protected]).
Visitor Information Requests – With respect to this web site, there are two options regarding your personal information. If you wish to contact us about our organization or its activities, then you need to disclose your contact information so that we can service your request. If you wish to remove your name and related information from our contact database, we will promptly take action to comply with your request. We are pleased to process address error correction notices and address change requests through any of the following channels:
- Sending electronic mail to [email protected]
- Sending regular mail to Nick Steiner, Treasurer, 1551 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206
- Calling 404.216.4579 Eastern Time Zone
Smiti Kumar, Dunelm USA
1551 Jackson Street, Denver, CO80206
This policy helps address the requirements of the following regulations and standards:
- OECD Fair Information Principles
- FTC Online Privacy Principles – US Federal Trade Commission
- COPPA – Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
- ISO 27002: 15.1.4 Data protection and privacy of personal information
- Health Care: HIPAA Privacy – Final Rule, HITECH Act
- Financial Services: GLBA Act, Title V – Privacy